Merging and Separating Multiple Independent Pipelines.

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:04:40 PST 2016

My boss has just floated the idea of having me write an AV Router using
gstreamer. This would be a program that would be able to take multiple
input AV streams (video files, capture cards, broadcast streams) and mix,
match and combine them, and route the multiple results to multiple output
streams (display monitors, save files, broadcast transmission) and be able
to be reconfigured dynamically while running.

Thus we might have multiple pipelines in a single program, and those
pipelines might need to suddenly be combined or separated.

For example, imagine we have two independent video streams, each with its
own pipeline. We're taking two video files, decoding them, and sending the
results to two monitors. Then a user asks for the two monitors to be
combined into one using picture-in-picuture.

Suddenly, without stopping anything, the code needs to be able to merge the
two pipelines using some sort of overlay element. And, naturally, we may
later decide to undo that operation and have two separate pipelines again.

Is this even possible in the current framework?

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.