How to get current bandwidth of the network in gstreamer

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 19 07:41:54 PST 2016

I think that you are fighting a battle that you are bound to lose.

Normally, to determine the bandwidth (for downloads) the test is to see
how much data you can receive from an 'inexhaustible source'. If you
tried to do that while you were receiving video, either the video would
spoil the results of the test or the test would spoil the video.

How frequently would you plan to do your investigation? If you went into
an empty Starbucks and used their free WiFi, the bandwidth might be
quite good. Having established your session, the place could fill up
with everyone fighting for WiFi bandwidth – and what you see would be
much lower bandwidth than when you started. If you're not careful, you
will spend so much time checking on the bandwidth that you won't have
any time to process video.

I would think that your best hope is building/maintaining a modest
buffer of downloaded frames and checking that the buffer does not empty.
Perhaps with a mechanism to tell the sending end to send at a lower
framerate if the buffer keeps emptying.

Ian