Does gst-omx support Raspberry Pi for simultaneously H.264 video decoding and coding?

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 16:57:14 PST 2016

The rpicamsrc is a wrapper around raspivid. The raspivid reads raw video
from the cam and encodes it for H.264 using the processors hardware
encoder. So in your pipeline you do two hardware encodings and one
decoding. Unless Broadcom did something really stupid, it should be
possible to modify rpicamsrc (using code example from raspivid or raspiyuv)
to read RGB or YUV (I420 perhaps).

Any particular reason you read FullHD at 25fps H.264 and change it to a
smaller geometry and framerate. Raspivid can take 768x432 at 5fps, but perhaps
rpicamsrc can not?

BTW, an alternative to rpicamsrc can be this

raspivid -n -w 1280 -h 720 -b 3000000 -t 0 -fps 25 -g 59 -pf high -ih -if
cyclic -o - | \
es2ts -stdin -stdout -h264 | \
gst-launch-1.0 -v -e \
    fdsrc fd=0 do-timestamp=1 ! tsdemux ! h264parse config-interval=0

But of course, rpicamsrc, if it is flexible enough (can't test it here
myself yet) is a way forward, a tleast until another module can read
directly from the cam.

best regards