some basic pad questions for rtpbin

Andres Gonzalez andres.agoralabs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 09:34:22 PST 2016

Hi,
All of the RTP/RTCP rtpbin examples I have searched are using gst-launch but
I am using the C interfaces and so I still have many gaps in my
understanding of how to use the C interfaces.

The documentation tutorials show how to get "On Request" pads using
gst_element_class_get_pad_template() and then gst_element_request_pad().
However, when I attempt to get a "send_rtcp_src_0" pad the template returned
is always null. Using gst-inspect on rtpbin, it says that the
send_rtcp_src%u pad can be retrieved using:   gst_rtp_bin_request_new_pad().

Question 1: where is gst_rtp_bin_request_new_pad() documented? I cannot find
anything on it so I don't know its signature.

Using gst_element_request_pad(), it returns a pad which must ultimately be
unref-ed.

Question 2: is it safe to unref that pad after the pipeline is constructed
and linked?  Or does that pad have to stay around until the stream is
ultimately destroyed?

Question 3: are there any examples of explicitly constructing the rtpbin
that are NOT using gst-launch, and that show how to explicitly connect the
RTCP pads in a pipeline?

Thanks,
-Andres