textoverlay/missing plugins for a newbie with comments

Julia Smith invisiblesun at mac.com
Sun Jul 3 16:02:30 UTC 2016

I’ve been playing around with gstreamer1.8.2 (OS X) for a few days, my overall goal:  to learn (if)  the mechanics of concurrently streaming several videos into OpenGL textures for rendered into a scene (is possible). OS X isn’t necessarily my target system.

comments:

1) the distro packaging is undocumented and fairly unclear. I downloaded the images for OS X but the content left by installs under the frameworks directories is far from complete.

2) resorted to brew with much more success. however the standard set of packages (core,plugins, good,bad,ugly) still left me unable to to play video. Adding gstlibav solved this.

Docs have been useful. I get processing pipelines, having worked with similar in the past.

I followed the tutorial hoping for a bit of bootstrap coding wise, but it is of limited use, the major road block: decoders it relies on (ogg/vorbis) don’t seem to exist.

Code examples a bit difficult to find: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/ <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/> isn’t linked in the main site, but I resorted to raiding the SDL examples of which only the basic cube works. The others don’t because textoverlay does not exist.

Any advice how to diagnose/find and if necessary build, up to and including that OS X is hopelessly out of date ATM would be appreciated.