synchronising multiple audio clients

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Jul 8 10:34:20 UTC 2016

On Fr, 2016-07-08 at 12:21 +0200, Johannes Bauer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Since I had problems getting gst-python running i wrote my programs
> in C for both serer and client.
> I now have GStreamer 1.8.1 on my server (Win7) and also on both of my
> clients (raspi2 with wheezy and raspi3 with jessy).
>
> My server starts streaming an mpa stream from the mic input to the
> clients via rtp and rtcp multicast. The clients receive the rtp
> stream and the rtcp data.
>
> I hear the output on both of my raspberries, however raspi2 is about
> 0.5 seconds delayed in contrast to the raspi3.
>
> Is it possible to synchronize them, so there is "no" delay among the
> clients?
>
> I read something about the rtpbin parameters ntp-time-source, ntp-
> sync, latency, buffer-mode and tried to play around with them, but i
> can't manage to get the clients synchronised. Is it possible with the
> properties or do i need to do something else here?

The easiest solution would be by using gst-rtsp-server and sharing a
clock between the different clients:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-rtsp-server/tree/examples/test-netclock-client.c
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-rtsp-server/tree/examples/test-netclock.c

But you can of course also implement the same manually without RTSP.

See also my talk at the GStreamer conference about this:
https://gstconf.ubicast.tv/videos/synchronised-multi-room-media-playback-and-distributed-live-media-processing-and-mixing-with-gstreamer/