synchronising multiple audio clients

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sun Jul 10 18:41:15 UTC 2016

On Fr, 2016-07-08 at 17:37 +0200, Johannes Bauer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Thanks for your reply!
> Your talk is really informative and i think I understood a lot of
> those parameters much better now.
>
> In my understanding I need to distribute a common GstClock in order
> to have the clients synchronised.
>
> As I understand, the gst_net_clock needs to be requested by every
> client and cannot be received via multicast.
> So there is a lot of network traffic if every clients request clock
> info from the server.
> Is there a way to distribute the clock via multicast?

You could use a different protocol :) PTP for example works via
multicast by default, you can use the GStreamer PTP clock on the
clients and use something like ptpd2 on one server.

Apart from that it all would work the same.

Instead of externally distributing the information about which clock to
use, you can also use the RFC7273 mode in gst-rtsp-server and rtspsrc
(or set up the same things via rtpbin). Then this information is also
distributed via the SDP.