Gapless Playback

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Thu Jul 14 12:53:15 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-14 09:13, Digits wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is gapless playback only possible with playbin?  I have a fairly
> complicated pipeline using a uridecodebin, two video sink bins and an
> audio sink (plus video and audio converters) which works but I can't
> load a new uri for gapless playback. I can't persuade playbin to use a
> similar custom sinkbin which does offer the uri queuing.  I am
> currently trying the approach of using the uridecodebin drained signal
> to trigger the creation of a new pipeline - it this the correct approach?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave.

As Tim said, it is certainly possible to do it without playbin, but more
complex. For example, I've implemented gapless playback without playbin,
but for audio-only playback. I used the concat element. I couldn't use
playbin, because I had to be able to prefetch data for the next stream
properly (for example, start the prefetch 10 seconds before the current
stream ended). With concat, you can notice when the switch happened by
installing a pad probe on its srcpad that checks for a stream-start event.