How to view FPS of received RTSP stream

Aswin Pranav aswin2pranav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 21:28:48 UTC 2016

Thanks for the input guys, but now my problem is:
When my receiver pipeline is simply " gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc location=
rtsp://10.20.13.24:8554/test name=r latency=0 ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 !
xvimagesink sync=0" it *appears* that my video is almost-realtime (150 ms
latency between server and client using a stopwatch) and is rendering
smoothly at 30 fps (this value was set at the server source). But then when
I modify my pipeline to this: "gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc location= rtsp://
10.20.13.24:8554/test name=r latency=0 ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 !
fpsdisplaysink name=fpssink video-sink=xvimagesink sync=0 -v" I get
considerable latency between server and client (almost 5 seconds), the
video visibly stutters, and the frame rate comes up to an average of 18 ms
with 0 dropped frames.

When I set sync=1, all hell breaks loose and I get a drop rate of 30 fps
(on avg)! I get maximum frame rendered per second . What is going on?! Does
fpsdisplaysink influence the speed of my receiver pipeline in some manner?
What can I do about it? Is there a lower overhead way of checking fps?

Thanks.