gst-editor updated for Gtk+ 3, GStreamer 1.0 support in progress

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Jun 21 06:37:28 UTC 2016

On Sa, 2016-06-18 at 02:26 +0200, Robin Haberkorn wrote:

> There is one major obstacle: GstXML support has been removed in v1.0.
> Supposedly it never worked properly anyway. Naturally some way of
> persisting/serializing pipelines would be very helpful.
>
> Do you know of any alternative/replacement that I might use? This could
> also be code from another project that I would incorporate into the
> gst-editor code base for the time being.
> The Pipeviz editor has some XML serialization code, but it is broken as
> well and could only serve as a reference anyway.
>
> If something like this does not exist, I think I will start working on
> serialization support for the GstParse (gst-launch) format. The reason
> is that there is already deserialization support and it is maintained by
> the community.

If you can express all pipelines that gst-editor can build with
GstParse, then this seems like a useful solution as it would also allow
passing it to gst-launch and using it directly in other software.

You should first check that though, maybe there are some cases that
can't be expressed by GstParse. If my memory of gst-editor is correct,
then it can.

> Perhaps you might also be interested in maintaining GstParse
> serialization support as part of upstream. People might find that
> useful.

The problem is that you can't serialize a pipeline in general in a
lossless way, be it with former GstXML or GstParse. There is a lot that
neither of the two can't express but which you can write in actual
code.

Which is also the main reason why gst-editor was considered not too
useful and abandoned by various people in the past who worked on it, it
can only build a small subset of all possible pipelines.