gst-editor updated for Gtk+ 3, GStreamer 1.0 support in progress

Robin Haberkorn haberkorn at metratec.com
Sat Jun 18 00:26:59 UTC 2016

Hello,

I wanted to inform you that I forked the old gst-editor (GStreamer
pipeline editor) project:

https://github.com/metratec/gst-editor/

This was forked from the abandoned v0.10.3.2 which was last worked on by
Hannes Bistry, supporting Gtk+ 2 and GStreamer 0.10. Originally
gst-editor appeared to be a part of the GStreamer project but was
eventually dropped.

The goal is to update this project to work with recent Gtk+ 3 and
GStreamer 1.0 APIs.

So far, the project builds cleanly on Gtk+ 3 - v3.10.8 at least which
is what I use here on Ubuntu 14.04. The old version did not even run
properly on Gtk+ v2.24, so that makes the fork interesting already.

It is still stuck at GStreamer 0.10, though. I'm starting to port it to
v1.0 APIs now.

There is one major obstacle: GstXML support has been removed in v1.0.
Supposedly it never worked properly anyway. Naturally some way of
persisting/serializing pipelines would be very helpful.

Do you know of any alternative/replacement that I might use? This could
also be code from another project that I would incorporate into the
gst-editor code base for the time being.
The Pipeviz editor has some XML serialization code, but it is broken as
well and could only serve as a reference anyway.

If something like this does not exist, I think I will start working on
serialization support for the GstParse (gst-launch) format. The reason
is that there is already deserialization support and it is maintained by
the community.

Perhaps you might also be interested in maintaining GstParse
serialization support as part of upstream. People might find that
useful.

I hope that this project will generate some interest in the GStreamer
community. A pipeline editor is often asked for. Feel free to take part
in its development.

Best regards,
Robin
--