Is there a clean migration path from RTP to SRTP?

Andres Gonzalez andres.agoralabs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 22:25:33 UTC 2016

Hi,
I have several RTP video/audio GStreamer feeds working nicely.  Thank you
GStreamer team!!!

I now want to add support for SRTP streams. The pipeline is somewhat
complex, but the section of concern is simply:

  x264enc -> rtph264pay -> rtpbin

Question: since SRTP is essentially a profile and only appends the
credentials to the payload, I am assuming all that is necessary is to add
the srtpenc element to the pipeline.  Is this correct?

Question: assuming correct, is the additional srtpenc element inserted
between the x264enc -> rtph264pay elements or between the rtph264pay ->
rtpbin elements?

Question: SRTP modifies RTCP format, so how is that taken care of?

Any other tips, cautions, warnings, etc, about migrating to SRTP??

Thanks,
-Andres