Is there a clean migration path from RTP to SRTP?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Jun 28 07:30:09 UTC 2016

On Mo, 2016-06-27 at 15:25 -0700, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
> I have several RTP video/audio GStreamer feeds working nicely.  Thank you
> GStreamer team!!!
>
> I now want to add support for SRTP streams. The pipeline is somewhat
> complex, but the section of concern is simply:
>
>   x264enc -> rtph264pay -> rtpbin
>
> Question: since SRTP is essentially a profile and only appends the
> credentials to the payload, I am assuming all that is necessary is to add
> the srtpenc element to the pipeline.  Is this correct?

See the request-rtp-encoder / decoder signals on rtpbin and the same
for rtcp. That's where you would want to hook in for SRTP instead of
putting the elements manually into the pipeline.

See for example rtspsrc's and gst-rtsp-server's usage of these signals.

> Question: assuming correct, is the additional srtpenc element inserted
> between the x264enc -> rtph264pay elements or between the rtph264pay ->
> rtpbin elements?
>
> Question: SRTP modifies RTCP format, so how is that taken care of?

What do you mean with that? But using the signals above takes care of
anything so that RTCP is also encrypted/decrypted as needed.