androidmedia (amc) plugin not able to access Hardware codecs for Android 5.0 and Higher

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Mar 11 07:25:42 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-03-10 at 17:31 -0800, Chikkamath wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> We're facing trouble in accessing hardware codecs (encoders as well as
> decoders) for example
> amcviddec-omxqcomvideodecoderavc,amcviddec-omxexynosavcdec
> amcviddec-omxgoogleh264decoder amcvidenc-omxqcomvideoencoderavc
> amcvidenc-omxgoogleh264encoder amcvidenc-omxexynosavcenc on Android 5.0
> smart phones specifically Samsung Android phones with exynos and qualcomm
> hardware chipsets. We're able to access hardware codecs without any issue on
> Android 4.3 and 4.4 Please note we've developed app on Android 4.2 using
> gstreamer release(cerbero SDK) 1.3 and recently we have updated our app with
> gstreamer release 1.5 and everything works fine. But now we are facing
> serious issue of accessing hardware codecs on Android 5.0 and higher. Not
> accessing hardware codecs for decoding and encoding is affecting performance
> of our app very badly, Spl in cases of HD videos 720P and 1080P.

Can you please attach the logs as attachments next time? Thanks :)

Which phones are this specifically? It seems to work just fine here.
Which version of GStreamer are you testing?

It might also make sense to test with playbin and 1.7.90.

In any case, can you get logs with amc*:7 and attach them? With 1.7.90,
and using playbin once, and "uridecodebin ! glimagesink" another time?