Playbin and changing video-sink

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Mar 12 15:20:03 UTC 2016

On Sa, 2016-03-12 at 14:13 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-03-12 at 13:04 +0200, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> […]
> >
> > qt here is quicktime, not the toolkit :)
> I never even thought of Quicktime, this being Linux!

The .mov files :) It's what MP4 was based on. The demuxer is called
qtdemux for historical reasons but handled MOV/MP4/3GPP/etc.

> > The gtk_main_quit() assertions are something you should look into,
> > it's
> > something wrong with either your GTK code or the D bindings.
> I can definitely believe it my code, D bindings as well but much less
> so. Sadly I am having to contemplate using C directly from D as the D
> binding appear to have big difficulties with the Value type. Or this
> maybe me just not appreciating how to do things properly.

You mean GValue? What's the problem there? Maybe take a look at how
it's handled in C#, it was quite convenient and nice to use there

> > That's surprising, changing the video sink during PLAYING should
> > have
> > no effect at all until the next time you go back to READY. But in
> > general, changing video sinks in playbin is not supported in
> > PAUSED/PLAYING state. It should not fail like this though, can you
> > report a bug about that with a small C testcase application?
> >   https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer
> >
> > What is it that you're trying to do here? What's the goal of these
> > experiments? :)
> I am trying to never use C for anything to do with GTK and GStreamer :-)

That's certainly possible, people are doing that :)

> I'll write a C version of the code I have in D so as to remove a
> variable. Once available, and showing the same problem (if it does),
> I'll post a bug report.

Great, thanks! The D code is simple enough, there's not much the
bindings could do wrong there.