gst-plugins-good: multipartmux extensions

Robin Haberkorn haberkorn at metratec.com
Wed Mar 16 18:39:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 10:20:34 +0200
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com> wrote:

> If you're using something like yocto for building your system images,
> or even a normal Linux distro, it should be relatively easy to upgrade
> GStreamer to a newer version. Definitely easier than backporting all
> those changes :) Unless you also have more changes that would need to
> be forward-ported.
> Doing that would be a good idea independent of staying with linuxptp
> or not, which is an acceptable solution in many situations indeed.

Indeed I'm using Yocto. But something being easy in theory is not
always easy in practice. Upgrading Gstreamer will very likely require
me to upgrade a lot of other packages as well. Not all of them will be
readily available. Also I will have to forward-port BSP and other
patches on top of Gstreamer. Speaking out of experience working many
years in the embedded Linux business, this sort of stuff __can__ be
annoying and is certainly not done in 5 minutes.

Since OpenCV 3 support will be finished in v1.8 -- as Nicolas Dufresne
has pointed out -- I think it would be wise to wait for that release.

> > My use case is probably much different than what you have in mind.
> > Clients receiving the video data will not have to sync against the
> > same clock. But I acknowledge that it's useful elsewhere.
>
> What is your use case? Your clients get those buffers with the
> timestamps you put on them, and then just write them out as metadata
> instead of using them for synchronization?

Exactly.

> > > If that ever becomes necessary for the RFC7273 implementation in
> > > the RTSP server or jitterbuffer (see patches), API could be added
> > > for specifying that the system clock is indeed synced to one
> > > specific PTP/NTP/etc clock. Or it could even be API on the system
> > > clock.
> > >
> > Mhh... I don't think that's a good idea. What if you sync your
> > system clock to something else, like NTP? This can hardly be mapped
> > generically to SystemClock properties or methods. And even if it
> > could be by adding some new properties, you could not ask the OS
> > about the relevant properties; so you would have to update the
> > SystemClock properties from your App anyway using whatever means
> > necessary. So why not just use the "extra-headers" way of
> > delegating that task to the application?
>
> That's exactly what I proposed, yes. Some API on the system clock so
> that the application can specify a clock the system clock is synced
> to, so the inside the pipeline elements can use this information for
> whatever they want to.
>
> I also don't think it makes sense to somehow autodetect this, it must
> be the application in the end that provides this information.

I still don't get why this needs a special API on the system clock side
then. Let the application simply use the proposed "extra-headers"
property on multipartmux.

Best regards,
Robin