gst-plugins-good: multipartmux extensions

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Mar 16 22:00:36 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-03-16 at 19:39 +0100, Robin Haberkorn wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 10:20:34 +0200
> Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com> wrote:

> > If you're using something like yocto for building your system images,
> > or even a normal Linux distro, it should be relatively easy to upgrade
> > GStreamer to a newer version. Definitely easier than backporting all
> > those changes :) Unless you also have more changes that would need to
> > be forward-ported.
> > Doing that would be a good idea independent of staying with linuxptp
> > or not, which is an acceptable solution in many situations indeed.
> >
> Indeed I'm using Yocto. But something being easy in theory is not
> always easy in practice. Upgrading Gstreamer will very likely require
> me to upgrade a lot of other packages as well. Not all of them will
> be readily available. Also I will have to forward-port BSP and other
> patches on top of Gstreamer. Speaking out of experience working many
> years in the embedded Linux business, this sort of stuff __can__ be
> annoying and is certainly not done in 5 minutes.

True, my point was that it's going to be less work than backporting
lots of changes to an older version.

> > That's exactly what I proposed, yes. Some API on the system clock so
> > that the application can specify a clock the system clock is synced
> > to, so the inside the pipeline elements can use this information for
> > whatever they want to.
> >
> > I also don't think it makes sense to somehow autodetect this, it must
> > be the application in the end that provides this information.
> >
> I still don't get why this needs a special API on the system clock side
> then. Let the application simply use the proposed "extra-headers"
> property on multipartmux.

It allows to have this information be used in a generic way by
arbitrary elements, and for the elements to request this information
from the clock. Instead of having the application worry about telling
all elements that might care about this in a custom way.