gst-plugins-good: multipartmux extensions

Robin Haberkorn haberkorn at metratec.com
Wed Mar 16 20:53:11 UTC 2016

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:28:31 +0200
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com> wrote:

> On Sa, 2016-03-12 at 21:09 +0100, Robin Haberkorn wrote:
> > Perhaps a good compromise would be to support both a custom GstMeta
> > type and souphttpsrc's http_headers event.
> > What do you think?
>
> My idea was that both the event and the meta could share the
> representation at least, and that for non-per-buffer headers you could
> use the event and for per-buffer headers the meta. I.e. having the
> event as the default values and let the meta override them.

This raises a new problem though. It makes sense to extend
multipartdemux to parse additional headers as well, so the changes are
symmetric and consistent. But which headers are parsed into a GstMeta
and which ones will be transmitted via events?
This information was lost when all structures were merged.
I see three possibilities to resolve that: Either all headers will
produce one GstMeta in multipartdemux; or all headers will produce one
event; or multipartmux will have to encode the header's source into the
header's name or field, so multipartdemux can infer what to do with
them.
For the time being I will not extend multipartdemux, though.

Best regards,
Robin