is there a problem with vp8enc/rtpvp8pay?

Andres Gonzalez andres.agoralabs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:33:41 UTC 2016

Nicolas,
Sebastian,

Thank you for your responses.

I am using version 1.4.4

Setting the deadline property for vp8enc corrected this problem in that the
client gst-launch script now will run properly and I get video and audio as
expected. I have also changed my server code to not explicitly set the DTS
but instead I am setting it to GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE  as suggested.

However, there is a very bad memory leak in that vp8enc/rtpvp8pay apparently
is not freeing *any* buffers. Monitoring memory on the application server
shows that memory consumption steadily increases to exhaustion and
eventually will crash my app when all 16G are used.

In my code, I can pick which encoder to use, so the only difference between
the h264 and vp8 cases is the x264enc/rtph264pay  vs. the vp8enc/rtpvp8pay
pipeline elements.  When using x264 there is no memory leak and I can run
the application all day without problems. But when I use vp8enc/rtpvp8pay,
memory is consumed like a starving beast. Latency also steadily increases
with vp8 until the client is over a minute behind the other outputs on my
server.

Any ideas on why vp8enc/rtpvp8pay is not freeing buffers?
Is there a property of either that deals with freeing buffers?

Thanks,
-Andres