is there a problem with vp8enc/rtpvp8pay?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Mar 18 09:00:39 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-03-17 at 12:33 -0700, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> Nicolas,
> Sebastian,
>
> Thank you for your responses.
>
> I am using version 1.4.4
>
> Setting the deadline property for vp8enc corrected this problem in that the
> client gst-launch script now will run properly and I get video and audio as
> expected. I have also changed my server code to not explicitly set the DTS
> but instead I am setting it to GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE  as suggested.
>
> However, there is a very bad memory leak in that vp8enc/rtpvp8pay apparently
> is not freeing *any* buffers. Monitoring memory on the application server
> shows that memory consumption steadily increases to exhaustion and
> eventually will crash my app when all 16G are used.
>
> In my code, I can pick which encoder to use, so the only difference between
> the h264 and vp8 cases is the x264enc/rtph264pay  vs. the vp8enc/rtpvp8pay
> pipeline elements.  When using x264 there is no memory leak and I can run
> the application all day without problems. But when I use vp8enc/rtpvp8pay,
> memory is consumed like a starving beast. Latency also steadily increases
> with vp8 until the client is over a minute behind the other outputs on my
> server.
>
> Any ideas on why vp8enc/rtpvp8pay is not freeing buffers?
> Is there a property of either that deals with freeing buffers?

That would be a bug, so there's no point in having a property for that :)

Can you check if it's vp8enc or rtpvp8pay by only plugging vp8enc for
testing? This might also be fixed since 1.4.4 already, so ideally also
check with a newer version.

Is it a real memory leak, or just accumulating memory usage? You can
check with valgrind if it reports any big amount of leaked memory after
then application exited. In case of accumulating memory usage,
valgrind's massif tool could be helpful to locate the place.