Gstreamer element for encryption

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Mar 21 07:50:07 UTC 2016

On So, 2016-03-20 at 22:18 -0700, Baby Octopus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to encrypt by stream before sending it to the client
>
> gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! x264enc bitrate=1000 ! mpegtsmux !
> tcpserversink
>
> Is it possible to insert an encryption element between the mpegtsmux
> and udpsink. Is htere any gstreamer element meant for encryption
> which is based on openssl or any other library?

There is none currently, but you could relatively easily write
something. I see two simple options here

1) Change tcpserversink (and possibly the other TCP elements) to use
GLib's TLS support. Then you can have full-blown TLS with certificate
checking, client-side authentication, etc..

2) Just write a small filter-like element that encrypts all data with
some kind of cipher, e.g. by using openssl. How secure that's going to
be depends on what you're doing there though :)