Installing Gstreamer 1.6.3

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Mar 23 08:11:34 UTC 2016

On Di, 2016-03-22 at 19:00 -0400, Cole Bush wrote:
> I am trying to install gstreamermm for a project I am working on on
> my raspberry pi 2. The pi has gstreamer 1.2 installed, but
> gstreamermm requires atleast 1.4.3. So I downloaded gstreamer-1.6.3
> from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/multimedia/gstream
> er10.html and ran the suggested installation commands.

The official website is https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/ where you
can find the latest sources. The instructions on the website you found
are for "Linux from scratch", a manually built Linux distribution.

Installing like that on Raspbian can easily create conflicts with your
system installation of GStreamer. There should also be newer binaries
for the RPi available.

> I am now having two problems.
> 1. gst-launch-1.0 returns: "gst-launch-1.0: symbol lookup error: gst-
> launch-1.0: undefined symbol: _gst_date_time_type"

Try running ldconfig. This means most likely that your system still
uses the old libgstreamer-1.0.so.0 instead of the newly installed one.

It can also very well be that /usr/lib/arm* is higher up in the LD
library path than /usr/lib, in which case ldconfig wouldn't fix it.

Installing GStreamer into /usr/local would've worked for example
though. You have to be careful when installing things on top of the
directories meant for the distribution (i.e. /usr, but /usr/local is
your's).

> 2. it appears gstreamer-1.0 version 1.2.0 is still the primary
> version. Is there a way to remove 1.2.0 and make 1.6.3 the primary
> version of gstreamer? When installing gstreamermm it only sees 1.2.0
> and not the new one.

Install GStreamer packages for your distribution that provide a newer
version, or install GStreamer and all the plugin modules in a place
that has higher priority than /usr (e.g. /usr/local). You might run
into incompatibilities with other applications from your distribution
then though, and you need to ensure that you compile everything
correctly for the RPi distribution.