Installing Gstreamer 1.6.3

Cole Bush bush.c at husky.neu.edu
Fri Mar 25 01:57:34 UTC 2016

Thank you for your help. I definitely messed some things up with this
installation. I should have been more thorough in my research.

Is it possible to recover from this? It seems to have overwritten some of
the system's version of Gstreamer. Can I maybe install gstreamer 1.2.0
again and use "--prefix=/usr" to reset it? Also, I have downloaded
gstreamer-1.8.0 from the website and installed it successfully. I am still
getting the "gst-launch-1.0 returns: "gst-launch-1.0: symbol lookup error:
gst-launch-1.0: undefined symbol: _gst_date_time_type"" error. I haven't
tried too hard to fix this issue yet, but I am wondering if it is worth the
time to fix, or should i just start with a new rasbian image.

For future reference, when I run the command "gst-inspect-1.0 --version" It
returns:
        gst-inspect-1.0 version 1.8.0
        GStreamer 1.2.0
        Unknown package origin
If I installed 1.8.0 correctly, should it say GStreamer 1.2.0? Is that
referring to the system version (which I'm guessing should never change)?

Thanks again for any help,
Cole