HDMI passthrough issues

Thomas Green TGreen2 at Sorenson.com
Thu Mar 24 16:26:54 UTC 2016

All, I wrote initially about an issue I had with passing HDMI through a device we are building.  Per the suggestion of Sebastian, I changed where I had two separate pipelines running and put them in a single bin.  This is the current pipeline:

gst-launch-0.10 nv4l2src device=/dev/video1 do-timestamp=TRUE ! video/x-nv-yuv, width=1920, height=1072, format="(fourcc)I420", framerate="60/1" ! nvvidconv !  video/x-nv-yuv, width=1920, height=1072, format="(fourcc)I420", framerate="60/1" ! nv_omx_videosink hdmi=TRUE sync=TRUE  alsasrc device=plughw:0,2 do-timestamp=TRUE ! audio/x-raw-int, rate=48000, channels=2, depth=16, width=16 ! alsasink device=plughw:0,1 sync=FALSE qos=TRUE

After some time, the audio still begins to lag, making the audio and video out of sync.  I have tried to set the sync flag to TRUE in the audio sink, but then the video drops so many frames that video is horrible.  How can I keep them in sync, and have acceptable video display too.

And on a related note, if I leave the pipeline up for long periods of time (> 10 hours) the audio source stops passing data.  I determined it was the source by doing two simple pipelines:

gst-launch-0.10 alsasrc device=plughw:0,2 ! audio/x-raw-int, channels=2, rate=48000, width=16, depth=16 ! alsasink device=plughw:0,0

gst-launch-0.10 testaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audio/x-raw-int, channels=2, rate=48000, width=16, depth=16 ! alsasink device=plughw:0,1

where plughw:0,0 is an onboard headphone, and plughw is the hdmi sink.  After letting it run overnight, the testsrc was still producing audio out of the hdmi sink, but the hdmi source was no longer sending audio out of the headphones.

I don't have a choice of moving to a newer version of gstreamer, so this is what I'm stuck with trying to figure out.

Thanks in advance

Tom