Rewrite of DVB related elements

Thiago Sousa Santos thiagoss at osg.samsung.com
Tue Mar 29 21:25:06 UTC 2016

On 03/29/2016 04:16 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-03-26 at 20:20 +0200, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
>> […]
>> For background info, libdvbv5 is GPL licensed.
> The Linux Media email list members are not picking up on my question
> about licencing, but it has been an Easter break for the bulk of them
> so I guess leave it a few more days to see if anyone addresses the
> issue.
>
> If libdvbv5 remains GPLv2 then clearly a reimplementation of the DVBv5
> "middleware" is required for GStreamer since it require LGPL 2.1 or
> more permissive dependencies. As with libdvbv5 this will have to be
> principally DVBv5 but with a DVBv3 backward compatibility layer.
>
> libdvbv5 has to be pure C with no dependencies other than libc. This
> leads to what appears to be very primitive (i.e. 1960s) ways of
> realizing some algorithms. Given GStreamer relies on GLib, a GStreamer
> implementation of the DVBv5 algorithms would obviously be realized with
> GObjects making the middleware API a lot more harmonious with the rest
> of GStreamer, and just better in general.
>
> Given the licencing issue and the MPEG-TS issue, there may then be a
> strong argument for reimplementing the DVBv5 middleware, at the expense
> of having to maintain it. However ongoing maintenance is a small price
> given that currently the DVBv3 → DVBv5 problem is a huge problem for
> GStreamer.
>
> I will most likely look at parsing DVBv5 files (real channel and
> virtual channel) using C (this is going to be very, very painful :-(
> with a view to creating GObjects that are effectively maps (just
> properties à la other GStreamer types).
FWIW I have a version of dvbsrc that is able to parse v5 files using
GKeyFile. Code is at
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~thiagoss/gst-plugins-bad/log/?h=dvb-v5-file in
case it could be helpful.

Perhaps some of it can help you. I was going to propose merging it
upstream but it is better to settle on a plan here for the future of our
DVB implementation before adding more small features.