Installing Gstreamer 1.6.3

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Mar 25 07:58:24 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-03-24 at 21:57 -0400, Cole Bush wrote:
> Thank you for your help. I definitely messed some things up with this
> installation. I should have been more thorough in my research.
>
> Is it possible to recover from this? It seems to have overwritten
> some of the system's version of Gstreamer. Can I maybe install
> gstreamer 1.2.0 again and use "--prefix=/usr" to reset it? Also, I
> have downloaded gstreamer-1.8.0 from the website and installed it
> successfully. I am still getting the "gst-launch-1.0 returns: "gst-
> launch-1.0: symbol lookup error: gst-launch-1.0: undefined symbol:
> _gst_date_time_type"" error. I haven't tried too hard to fix this
> issue yet, but I am wondering if it is worth the time to fix, or
> should i just start with a new rasbian image.
>
> For future reference, when I run the command "gst-inspect-1.0 --
> version" It returns:
>         gst-inspect-1.0 version 1.8.0
>         GStreamer 1.2.0
>         Unknown package origin
> If I installed 1.8.0 correctly, should it say GStreamer 1.2.0? Is
> that referring to the system version (which I'm guessing should never
> change)?

No, this means that it uses the 1.8 executable but uses the 1.2
library. That's exactly the LD library path problem I mentioned in the
previous mail. The RPi system gives preference to the path where the
1.2 libraries are, or does not even have the one where you installed
the 1.8 ones included somewhere.

The best is probably to start with a new image, and then install new
GStreamer into /usr/local (and run ldconfig after make install). Make
sure to install all plugin modules you need, and especially to compile
gst-plugins-bad and gst-omx specifically for the RPi so that it doesn't
use e.g. the wrong OpenGL libraries.