GStreamer license question

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:46:24 UTC 2016

Le mercredi 30 mars 2016 à 13:30 +0100, Russel Winder a écrit :
> Remember thought that what has been said here is not a legal opinion,
> it is
> the working interpretation of software developers who have some
> experience
> of the law. Two important points:
>
> 1. Jurisdiction is critical: what is legal in one jurisdication may
> be
> illegal in another: you have to know which jurisdiction is
> applicable.
>
> 2. If you need a legal opinion, get a lawyer to give you an official
> opinion
> for the jursdictions that are important to you.
>
> (I have been through all of this a few times now, and getting a
> formal legal
> opinion in each of the cases, whilst (very, very) expensive, was
> worth every
> penny.)

Though, we invite users not to be scared. This non-legal opinion was
formulated by GStreamer's main contributor. Only authors may take legal
action against someone miss-distributing this software. If we, by
accident miss-guided you, we will certainly help you fix it, rather
then harm you in the first place.

cheers,
Nicolas