GStreamer license question

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Mar 30 13:06:21 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-03-30 at 08:46 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le mercredi 30 mars 2016 à 13:30 +0100, Russel Winder a écrit :
> >
> Though, we invite users not to be scared. This non-legal opinion was
> formulated by GStreamer's main contributor. Only authors may take legal
> action against someone miss-distributing this software. If we, by
> accident miss-guided you, we will certainly help you fix it, rather
> then harm you in the first place.

Also in this case it is the opinion of the FSF who designed these
licenses, and one of the design goals of the GPL/LGPL (both being
upwards compatible if all code involved says "or any later version",
and both being compatible with each other by making the combined work
GPL). It's a quite clear case for once.