Use RTP payload type in order to decode the RTP stream

Paixao Julien J.Paixao at TELEVIC.com
Tue May 3 13:55:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any ways in GStreamer to decode an RTP stream using only the media information inside the payload type of the RTP header?
Of course only in the case the payload type is standardized (PT < 96, see http://www.iana.org/assignments/rtp-parameters/rtp-parameters.xhtml)

Today I am using RTP in combination with SDP, which works, but I think it would be nice to have a pipeline capable of decoding rtp stream with known payload type without SDP needs:
e.g udpsrc multicast-group=<ip> port=<port> caps="application/x-rtp,media=audio" ! decodebin ! autoaudiosink

decodebin would parse the rtp header payload type of the incoming stream and select the appropriate decoder.

Best regards,
Julien.