Use RTP payload type in order to decode the RTP stream

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at gmail.com
Tue May 3 16:10:38 UTC 2016

Le mardi 03 mai 2016 à 13:55 +0000, Paixao Julien a écrit :
> Today I am using RTP in combination with SDP, which works, but I
> think it would be nice to have a pipeline capable of decoding rtp
> stream with known payload type without SDP needs:
> e.g udpsrc multicast-group=<ip> port=<port> caps="application/x-
> rtp,media=audio" ! decodebin ! autoaudiosink

Best would be to give it a try. What you'd need to implement is an RTP
typefinder feature. That typefinder would do basic sanity check to make
sure the GstBuffer is a rtp packet (rtp is not parsable, so the size of
the GstBuffer must be exactly the RTP packet size). And then for
payload type that are not dynamically allocated, it would create caps.
It's a case by case thing though, as for certain types you may not able
to provide all the required caps field. All the modern CODEC are
exposed using dynamically allocated payload type, so it might not be
widely useful.

regards,
Nicolas