simple (probably dumb) question about the android sample gst-player

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu May 12 05:29:39 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-05-11 at 22:10 -0400, Chuck Crisler wrote:
> I am trying to adapt this sample to a generic java application (not
> for android) but can't find any file that contains a 'public static
> void main()' method. Is there one? If not, where does execution
> start?

Android applications don't have a main(). I would recommend to first go
through a couple of Android app development tutorials, or through the
documentation about that.

This here is like the main(), but not completely:
https://github.com/sdroege/gst-player/blob/master/android/app/src/main/java/org/freedesktop/gstreamer/player/Play.java#L50

> A second question is what surface type should I use to display live
> video, assuming either swing or javafx. I intend to use the same
> model as the example, create a surface in the GUI and pass it to
> GStreamer for video display. Can you create multiple concurrent
> surfaces to display multiple parallel video streams?

Android has neither swing nor javafx. You have to use the APIs that it
provides, specifically android.view.View and android.view.Surface*