VANC (Ancillary data, e.g. captions)

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue May 17 22:24:30 UTC 2016

What is the best way to handle VANC?

An ex-coworker came up with a patch to add VANC processing to GStreamer
version 1.2.3 for Blackmagic cards.   Unfortunately, he never pushed that
code upstream before he left.

With his patch, the VANC was extracted from the Blackmagic driver and then
pushed onto the gstreamer pipeline -- similar to the way video and audio
was pushed onto the pipeline in V1.2.3 of Gstreamer.  He then added a VANC
sink pad to ffmpegenc to encode the captions.

Since version 1.2.3, the GStreamer Blackmagic support has been completely
re-written, and it no longer works the same way.  I would like to take the
work that my ex-coworker did, and adapt it to the latest version of
GStreamer, but I am unclear on what the proper approach would be.  Should I
effectively clone gstdecklinkvideosrc into gstdecklinkvancsrc and tweak it
as appropriate?

I don't see any established support for processing captions.  Has a roadmap
been defined?  If I get this working, I am hoping that my work will be
accepted upstream, so I would like some guidance on how to do it right.

Thanks,

John