Spectrum Good Plugin

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu May 19 07:11:54 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-05-18 at 09:51 -0400, Cole Bush wrote:
> The second half makes sense, but i don't understand how to calculate the samplerate.
>
> > It will generate a message every "interval" nanoseconds, but this
> > message will contain the average of multiple spectrums. The number of
> > samples per spectrum is controlled by the number of bands.
>
> I would like to determine the exact samplerate so i can then find the
> width of each band. Is there a way to find what the value of
> "multiple spectrums" is? I am getting 20 messages a second, x
> spectrums a message, and 100 bands per spectrum. If i multiply these,
> i should get the samplerate, correct?
>
> I appreciate your help.

The samplerate is a property of the audio stream you have, and you can
get that from the caps on the pads of the spectrum element for example.

Each spectrum is with (2 * bands - 2) samples IIRC. The spectrum
element is just doing a normal FFT of a specific length based on the
number of bands you want to have in the end.