FW: GL upload and GL download design

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon May 23 07:43:21 UTC 2016

On Mo, 2016-05-23 at 01:44 +0000, Bing Song wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently many GL upload methods implement in gst-
> libs/gst/gl/gstglupload.c. We need change the file if we want to
> implement one special GL upload method. Is it possible to implement
> one GL upload method in one element? glupload will be one GStreamer
> bin. The bin will find all GL upload elements in the system and
> select one best GL upload method based on rank. So every vendor can
> implement their own GL upload method and needn't modify gst-
> libs/gst/gl/gstglupload.c. GL download also has same problem. What's
> your option?

The code in there is not really an element but functions that are used
inside GstGLMemory for handling upload/download/etc of video frames in
various formats.

What you probably want is an extension mechanism for the upload
methods, basically what the UploadMethod does. As you can see, this is
at a much lower level than elements.

What are the reasons why you can't add your custom upload method to
libgstgl directly? GStreamer and libgstgl will have to be compiled
specifically for different embedded platforms anyway, and it would
probably be not a problem to have your code integrated directly into
libgstgl upstream and have it automatically enabled/disabled based on
the configure script.