Gst-launch-1.0 (v1.80) Decklink Interlaced Video

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu May 26 17:08:58 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-05-26 at 22:35 +0930, Dave Johnstone wrote:
> The caps filter has no effect.

You need a capssetter, not capsfilter :) You need to override the caps,
not filter them.

>   It seems the uridecodebin always outputs mixed or progressive when
> input files are interlaced.  HD 1080/50i MJPEG and ProRes interlaced
> files in Quicktime or AVI wrappers all need an interlace element to
> link to a Decklink card for output.

That's because of avviddec not being able to distinguish between
interleaved (interlaced) and mixed (interlaced). It always uses mixed
as such, it is a superset of the other.

We need to find a way for fixing that, or alternatively make
decklinkvideosink handle mixed content.

>   Although this can work it seems to add unnecessary overhead and
> pipeline complication.

It will also degrade quality unfortunately :)

>   The same codec in a mkv container will not link at all.  I will
> produce some (non-copyright) test files and make them available when
> I file the bug.  As this issue occurs with multiple decoders and
> demuxers, should I file the bug for uridecodebin?  The same issue is
> observed when using qtdemux, avidemux and jpegdec etc.

It's unfortunately a bug per demuxer and/or decoder combination.