Buffering video file in memory

Mikl michael.yarochkin at timetronics.be
Fri Nov 4 08:55:31 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have a "small" video files. About 30-50 Mb

It is my use case to seek back and forward around one of the frames multiply
times. Like you are finding best focus using microscope. And then move to
next frame to seek around it.

Pipeline is this 1 video and 4 subtitles:
video: filesrc ! matroskademux ! queue ! jpegdec ! videoconvert ! appsink
subtitles: filesrc ! matroskademux ! queue ! appsink

I see some delay, caused my hard disk IO operations. Because in our time
even 100 Mb is not a big deal, i want to load it in a memory.

My question is:
*Can i modify my pipeline so, it will buffer complete file in a memory
(better on a fly when loading frames) and latter perform seek from a
memory?*

Otherwise, i need to make an internal buffer in my app.

Mikl