Raspberry Pi 2 v4l2src 'lost frames detected' and high processor usage

Mandar Joshi emailmandar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 09:09:26 UTC 2016

> There are fewer errors now. but the "lost frames warning does pop up
> once every few seconds. However 1280x720 always results in 100% CPU
> usage.
> 640x480 around 25% CPU

I did "modprobe uvcvideo nodrop=1 timeout=1000"

This gets rid of the "lost frames" warnings most of the times.

CPU usage is still high. Most of the time it is 100% but it hovered
around 75% couple of times.
I tested the camera on my desktop (i7 4770). It utilizes 20% CPU. So,
I guess the problem is not related to Raspberrry PI 2 but is about
high CPU usage when capturing video at high resolution over USB.

Any comments?
How can I reduce CPU usage when capturing video from a USB camera?

Thanks
Mandar Joshi