Raspberry Pi 2 v4l2src 'lost frames detected' and high processor usage

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Nov 7 19:05:52 UTC 2016

Le lundi 07 novembre 2016 à 14:39 +0530, Mandar Joshi a écrit :
> I did "modprobe uvcvideo nodrop=1 timeout=1000"
>
> This gets rid of the "lost frames" warnings most of the times.
>
> CPU usage is still high. Most of the time it is 100% but it hovered
> around 75% couple of times.
> I tested the camera on my desktop (i7 4770). It utilizes 20% CPU. So,
> I guess the problem is not related to Raspberrry PI 2 but is about
> high CPU usage when capturing video at high resolution over USB.
>
> Any comments?
> How can I reduce CPU usage when capturing video from a USB camera?

USB capture is always a fullscreen copy. Now we should try and find a
way to avoid a second copy. But for that, I think you need to rebuild
gst-plugins-good without libv4l2 support, I think this is was prevents
you from using io-mode=userptr. It may also be due to a too old kernel
(you need a really recent kernel).

Nicolas