make is not finding libgstapp - appsrc

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sat Nov 12 15:46:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

so pkg-config is a convenience on Linux and other similar Unix based
platforms to help integrate other libraries in your project. It's very
similar to VS property sheets, except that you use a command line tool
to request the information rather then manually looking for a file on
your system.

For your interest, the descriptions used by pkg-config are usually
located in folders like (Debian/Ubuntu):

  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/
  /usr/lib/pkgconfig

You normally don't need to access those files, but sometimes it's
useful to check if what you are looking for is properly installed.
Those directories will contains text files with the extension '.pc'.

Those files are installed with -dev variant of the packages. In your
case, you need to make sure you have the following package installed:

  apt install libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev

This package will pull libgstreamer1.0-dev and include all the base
libraries that extend the core of GStreamer. Remeber that GStreamer is
a collection of libraries and dynamic list of plugins (plugins being
shared library also, but you don't link to them though).

About Eclipse, you have two options. You may use pkg-config as describe
earlier and just copy the information in your project. But ideally you
should use some pkg-config specific utility. Google told me that it
exists:

  https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/pkg-config-support-eclipse-cdt

I don't usually use Eclipse myself. You may look toward using other
build systems, like Meson or CMake, which have built-in support for
that, but no graphical user interface.

regards,
Nicolas