Extremely simple live player (Was: How to scale to maximum video sink width and height)

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 16 21:34:21 UTC 2016

On 10/16/2016 07:06 PM, Pander wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As follow up on
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/gstreamer-devel/2016-October/060868.html
> a new post. I have also looked at livav-tools and mplayer but these have
> much less support for USB cameras formats.
>
> So gst-launch is only for testing, hence I am looking for an extremely
> simple live player based on gst and written in C. When I look at the
> tutorial, I see that parsing the pipeline is also used there:
>
> http://docs.gstreamer.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=327735
>
> Does that mean that this is also not the fastest way? Note that I want
> to deploy the solution on Raspberry Pis without X, so it must as fast as
> possible. Do I simply put in line number 12 the pipeline I need? Or do I
> omit the parsing and connect with lower lever functions the source to
> the sink?
>
> All I need is
>   gst-launch-1.0 -q v4l2src ! autovideosink
> or
>   gst-launch-1.0 -q v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! autovideosink
>
> (The full-screen part I postpone. As I run it from the command-line
> without X, I do not have a widget to embed to sink in.)

After diving into the correct tutorial (1.0 on org, not 0.10 on .com) I
have put together an application that does the bare minimum. All my
questions are not in the //TODO in the source code. They mainly concern
handling command-line arguments and getting the width and height from
the sink (callback or caps?).

Please review https://github.com/z25/gstcam

Thanks,

Pander