RTSP streaming with GStreamer

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Oct 19 06:07:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-10-18 at 20:47 -0400, hemant at mnkcg.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am new to GStreamer.    I wanted to see if such a test is possible
> with GStreamer?  In one xterm I initiate a RTSP server.  From another
> xterm I launch a RTSP client to initiate a RTSP connection to the
> RSTP server URL.  Both xterms are running on one Linux machine.  I
> have a short test.264 file to serve.    I am not ready to test video
> streaming yet – I just want to send some data packets between client
> and server.
>
> If anyone can please point me to a URL where documentation exists for
> such a test, please let me know.

Check the examples in gst-rtsp-server/examples. You can do e.g.

  ./test-launch "( filesrc location=test.264 ! h264parse ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96 )"

for starting an example server, and then use

  gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=rtsp://127.0.0.1:8554/test

to play it. Note that this listens on all IPs of your machine by
default, so you can as well use a public IPv4 or IPv6 address.

Also keep in mind that test-launch is an example. You want to integrate
that in one way or another into your application.