Requesting a simple example using fdsrc and fdsink

Piper984 mclennan at alumni.nd.edu
Wed Sep 21 11:25:43 UTC 2016

Hi Tim,

Thanks a bunch for the reply.  What you explain makes sense but I'm still
not getting the results I am looking for.  Based on your reply, I then
adjusted my gst-launch example as follows...

gst-launch-1.0 -v -e videotestsrc ! gdppay ! fdsink | gst-launch-1.0 -e -v
fdsrc fd=0 ! gdpdepay ! autovideosink

... thinking this should open up a window and display the test pattern.
However, I get the errors about not being able to preroll...

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Got context from element 'autovideosink0-actual-sink-glimage':
gst.gl.GLDisplay=context, gst.gl.GLDisplay=(GstGLDisplay)"\(GstGLDisplay\)\
gldisplay0";
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstGDPDepay:gdpdepay0: Could not
decode stream.
Additional debug info:
gstgdpdepay.c(443): gst_gdp_depay_chain ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstGDPDepay:gdpdepay0:
could not create event from GDP packet
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

... and I assume that this is because I just don't quite understand how the
autovideosink element works with whatever it's sent.

Do you have a working bash/gst-launch command that shows the displaying of
video from stdin or from a named pipe?  I think if I could just see a
working example it would help me build my understanding.

Thanks!

Piper