Q: "Package gstreamer-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config"

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Wed Apr 5 16:29:52 UTC 2017

Le mercredi 05 avril 2017 à 18:49 +0300, Ran Shalit a écrit :
> I hope someone can help with the following, I am a bit struglling
> with it.
> I am trying to build the tutorials.
>
> @user-VirtualBox:~/gstreamer/gst-docs/examples/tutorials$ gcc
> basic-tutorial-1.c -o basic-tutorial-1 `pkg-config --cflags --libs
> gstreamer-1.0`
> Package gstreamer-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gstreamer-1.0.pc'
> No package 'gstreamer-1.0' found
> basic-tutorial-1.c:1:21: fatal error: gst/gst.h: No such file or
> directory
>  #include <gst/gst.h>
>                      ^
> compilation terminated.
> user at user-VirtualBox:~
>

> Yet, I did installed gstreamer-1.0-dev (sudo apt-get install
> libgstreamer1.0-dev)  and everything seems to be in the correct
> folder:
>
>  /usr/include/gstreamer-1.0/gst/gst/....
>
> Does anyone knows what's the problem ?

No, but you should first look at why pkg-config does not find the .pc
file. You can check that some .pc are found to start with:

  pkg-config --list-all

Next step, would be to run pkg-config in debug mode. It will trace it's
search path, so you can start debugging your distro this way:

 pkg-config --debug --libs gstreamer-1.0

regards,
Nicolas