Building GstElement plugins using CMake

Kyle Mallory kyle at tealdrones.com
Tue Apr 11 21:41:11 UTC 2017

Two questions:

1) Has anyone had any success at building GStreamer Element plugins
using CMake rather than make?

2) How difficult is it to create plugins that are decoupled from the
Gstreamer templates that create the framework for registering the
plugins, etc?

Background:

We are interested in using Gstreamer as the video pipeline for our drone
(www.tealdrones.com), and would like to utilize plugins as an "entry
point" for our drone-side SDK to access that pipeline.  For example, a
developer could use Gst plugins to provide augmented reality capability
by taking the default camera pipeline, receiving telemetry information
from the Teal SDK, and rendering over the video pipeline, before sending
the resulting stream of RTP to the ground station.

One of the challenges we are facing is the ease of entry into developing
plugins. We need to make it as simple as possible for our SDK users to
create a basic plugin, that provides frames on one end, and accepts
frames on the downward side.  We're considering providing a wrapper
layer to encapsulate this basic functionality, but the current tools are
not very friendly.

Further complicating this, our SDK build system is built around CMake,
and we promote the use of CLion as our preferred IDE.

Our goal is to provide a 3 or 4 bullet-proof examples of how to create
new plugins, that just work with Gstreamer.

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to participating regularly
(and hopefully contributing meaningfully) to future discussions.

--Kyle