Building GstElement plugins using CMake

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Tue Apr 11 22:08:39 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 15:41 -0600, Kyle Mallory wrote:

Hi Kyle,

> 1) Has anyone had any success at building GStreamer Element plugins
> using CMake rather than make?
>
> 2) How difficult is it to create plugins that are decoupled from the
> Gstreamer templates that create the framework for registering the
> plugins, etc?

I can't point you to small-enough specific cmake examples right now,
but this should be fairly easy really. There's nothing special about
GStreamer plugins. If you can create a shared library/module, that's
all you need to do from a build system perspective. Then you just need
to use  GST_PLUGIN_DEFINE in the code to make sure the right entry
point symbol  is there.

Then you just need to install the result into the right directory to
make sure GStreamer finds it, or tell GStreamer explicitly where to
look for the extra plugins (e.g. via GST_PLUGIN_PATH or
gst_registry_add_path()).

Not that it helps you much, but just for completeness sake I should
mention that we're looking at Meson as future build system, which is
even easier to use.

It's well possible I may have misunderstood what you're asking though.

Cheers
 -Tim