N-to-N plugin

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Tue Apr 18 08:17:26 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-04-18 at 00:37 -0700, hydrex508 wrote:

Hi,

> I'm trying to write N-to-N a gstreamer plugin:
> I have 2 main input streams and 2 output streams
> - is this supported by gstreamer ? I mean if I write multi pads
> plugin, I'll
> be allowed to connect all pads to other plugins ?
> - which template is more suitable for such plugin ? filter ? encoder
> ?
> or may I start using demux example ?

Of course this is supported.

What to use as base class depends a bit on your use case, in particular
how the scheduling works.

If the input streams operate independently, you will probably want to
derive from GstElement. Multiqueue is an example of this kind of
element.

If you aggregate inputs (i.e. you want to wait for buffers on all input
pads before you decide what to output on which output pad(s)), then you
probably want to derive from GstAggregator.

Cheers
 -Tim