splitmuxsink and timestamps

Philippe De Muyter phdm at macq.eu
Wed Apr 19 00:21:02 UTC 2017

Hi Jan,

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 09:05:56PM +1000, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18/04/17 19:26, Philippe De Muyter wrote:
> > Hello Jan and list
> >
> > I would like to enhance splitmuxsink's "location" property with a way
> > to produce files named after the absolute timestamp of the first frame
> > included in the file.
> >
> > Which of GST_BUFFER_PTS, GST_BUFFER_DTS or GST_BUFFER_TIMESTAMP
> > should I use for that purpose ?
> >
> > I work on a arm board running linux equipped with a camera sensor, and
> > synchronised using ntp.  Myv4l2 driver produces UTC-time timestamps of
> > each frame.
> >
> > Also, is there a container format that can hold those absolute timestamps,
> > in order to retrieve them when replaying the file ?
>
> In GStreamer 1.12 (and in the 1.11.90 pre-release), there's a
> format-location-full signal on splitmuxsink that lets you do what you
> want. It passes the first buffer of a new fragment, and you can use
> whichever timestamp you want for generating the output filename.

Thanks

Is that useable by a gst-launch pipeline ?

> GST_BUFFER_TIMESTAMP is an alias for GST_BUFFER_PTS, so they're the same
> time.

Is it meant to contain the absolute capture timestamp of the frame ?
Or is another timestamp field available for that purpose ?

And when replaying h264 encoded files produced by splitmuxsink using splitmuxsrc,
is it possible to retrieve the original capture timestamps of the frames ?

Philippe

--
Philippe De Muyter +32 2 6101532 Macq SA rue de l'Aeronef 2 B-1140 Bruxelles