Developing new plugin out of tree

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Sun Apr 23 12:08:22 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-04-23 at 11:51 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:

Hi Russel,

> I have extracted the sys/dvb directory from the gst-plugins-bad
> repository so as to develop a new version based on libdvbv5 rather
> than using the Linux API directly. Following Tim suggestion I have a
> meson.build file that allows the current code to build. However I had
> to add:
>
> conf_data = configuration_data()
> conf_data.set('VERSION', '"1.11.90"')
> conf_data.set('PACKAGE', '"gst-dvb"')
> conf_data.set('GETTEXT_PACKAGE', '"gst-dvb"')
> conf_data.set('GST_LICENSE', '""')
> conf_data.set('GST_PACKAGE_NAME', '""')
> conf_data.set('GST_PACKAGE_ORIGIN', '""')
> conf_data.set('GST_API_VERSION', '""')
>
> I am wondering what the right way to populate these symbols is, for
> this "out of repository" context.

There isn't really a right way or a wrong way.

You can do it via '-Dfoo=bar' in c_args, like my meson.build had
already for PACKAGE and VERSION.

Or you do it like you're proposing by writing a config.h file from
configuration_data(). You still need a

  configure_file(output : 'config.h', configuration : conf_data)

somewhere then, and may also need to add '-DHAVE_CONFIG_H' to c_args.

Cheers
 -Tim