GStreamer on iMX6 with Android M

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Thu Apr 27 11:59:00 UTC 2017

Le jeudi 27 avril 2017 à 00:30 -0700, palpal7785 a écrit :
> I have an iMX6 board with Android M on it. I want to have GStreamer as my
> default media engine.
>
> In the android source from Freescale, I can see that VPU enabled OpenMax
> compliant components are present, so I thought of using gst-omx. But this
> may not be the right approach as we have VPU enabled GStreamer source
> > available at https://github.com/Freescale/gstreamer-imx.
>
> Approach 1: Completely replace Android Stagefright/NuPlayer with a customer
> Gstreamer player which uses available gst components. Is there any open
> source project doing the same. I feel the effort to develop this might be on
> higher side.
> Approach 2: Use the android Stagefright/NuPlayer and replace the the OMX
> layer with gstreamer components. Not sure about the complexity.

The right method on Android is to use the GStreamer AMC plugins. This
plugin will call the Java public APIs (Android Media Codec) from C. It
is the only portable method. If you are removing the Java VM though,
you'll have to try one of your other solution. When removing
StageFright (gstreamer-imx or gst-omx) you also remove the graphic
integration (using ION/GRAlloc and special texture extension). Re-
implementing this platform specific code might take time.