Licensing question on gstreamer/common file

Ties Jan Hefting tjhefting at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 15:27:48 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am currently working on a music player using the GStreamer libraries.
While developing and running unit tests, I use Valgrind among others.
In the gstreamer/common repository [1], there is a file called
"gst.supp", which can be used for suppressions in Valgrind.

For ease of development, I would like to include this file in my own
common repository, which is then included as a git submodule in other
repositories.  However, it is not clear to me under what license the
file "gst.supp" is released, as there is no COPYING or LICENSE file in
the repository itself.  As the GStreamer core library is released by
the GStreamer community under LGPL v2.1, my initial thought was
everything inside this repository is also released under LGPL v2.1.

A few days ago I already set up this common repository [2]. The
repository itself holds no license at the moment. This will probably be
applied to my own code only, which is to be added later on.

I would like to confirm:
  1. Is this file indeed released under LGPL v2.1 as part of the core
     library? If not, what license is it released under?
  2. The attribution can be found here [3]. Do I attribute the file
     back to the community correctly? If not, how would you like the
     attribution to be?

If requested, I will of course change it as soon as possible, to comply
with your wishes.

Thanks in advance, TJ

(Ties Jan Hefting)

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/common/